Shut Out

Shut Out - Kody Keplinger Shut Out is a modern re-telling of an old Greek playwrite written by Aristophane's, Lysistrata. Keplinger is very successful in giving it a unique twist all its own. Set in a modern high school, where she pits the Football team against the Soccer team in a ten year long rivalry, the girls become fed up with it and decide to go on a sex strike pitting them against the boys. It is a highly charged, edgey, and sarcastic lesson in human sexuality, the power of manipulation, and all of the double standards that come along with it. I don't necessarily know that I would personally call it a game well played, but it was a pretty decent novel over-all despite a couple of issues that I may have had with it. I did manage to admire Kepling's best efforts in tackling such controversial subject matter and utilizing a bit of her own personalilty. She does her best and succeeds well, in getting a pretty good positive message across, that can sometimes come with unexpected consequences as well. Shut-Out has managed to leave me with a few mixed emotions, in that I liked it to a degree and then I sort of didn't. There were certain things that bothered me and one of those things was the main character, Lissa. At certain points throughout the novel, it felt as if she was using the sex strike for her own personal reasons instead of the reasons that it had been initiated to begin with. Suddenly, it stopped being about ending the ten year long rivalry between the Football and Soccer teams, and started to become more about her own personal issues. For example, the fact that she felt as if she'd been rejected by Cash and she was going to use the sex strike to manipulate his feelings for her. That completely turned me off and it made me dislike her character a great deal. I stopped feeling sorry for her the minute she started acting like that and encouraging the other girls to use the sex strike as a weapon against the guys they were dating, as well. All in all, though, Shut-Out is a well rounded novel, that isn't afraid to speak candidly and openly about sexuality and explore the questions that come along with the territory or how it affects the youth of our generation. For that alone, I can give it four solid stars and be alright with it.